Friday, 20 December 2013

The Final Push

Well, I've finally got a final push happening in the build of "Thor's Hammer".

A lot has been happening with my prepping the engine and bike for paint. I'll let the pictures and brief descriptions do the talking.

Getting the engine parts ready for blasting, and getting the heads re-built

Shaving the fins on the head and barrels prior to blasting

The re-built head and blasted parts on their way home

Matching castings

Filling in the Yamaha logo

 Re-built crank ready for install

Repaired a broken fin from before I grabbed the bike. Used a fin I cut off a spare head.

 Black zinc coated parts (this is only a small example of what was coated)

Black ceramic coated headers and pipes

Colour choices for the tin work

 Prepping the guards and tank for paint (helping hand from Thomas, a fellow Sydney Cafe Racer member)

Tank lined

Chassis prepped ready for final welding of tabs and paint
Wrinkle black finish is being applied to the first of the engine parts. The whole engine will be done this way. 

Monday, 12 August 2013

Back to basics!

It seems that the tax man has been kind to me this year, with a nice little return hopefully making its way to completing the build.

In celebration, I decided to start tearing the bike apart again for sorting prior to performing the final finishes.

Saturday, 20 July 2013

Engine Autopsy

Riding the CB250N "Cherry Bomb" has been a hoot, with a total of 9000kms being ridden over the last 6 months, rain, hail or shine. It is however, time to finally step up to more power, with my finally getting the hunger to start working on "Thor's Hammer" again.

I'm lucky enough to have some amazing support from the Sydney Cafe Racer crew, with a brains trust joining me on my engine autopsy. The guys included Darren Mllichamp, Nicky Steps, Bill Wallis, Grant Kaplan, Jordan Rodgers, Jordan Kightly, Nicolette Skobier and my brother Michael.

Thus the engine autopsy party was devised, with everybody lending a hand to tear the engine apart and diagnose what parts were required to perform a quality rebuild.

Thankfully it was in pretty good shape, except for the 5th pinion gear that had some tooth decay.

In case you hadn't noticed, I've discovered Instagram since my last post!